From Cowes Roads the Squadron Castle, built by Henry VIII in 1539 as a deterrent to the French, appeares as battlements, a round tower, and a flagstaff. Its cannon are only once known to have been fired in anger, in 1642 during the Civil War. Now its William IV cannon, which once belonged to the ‘Royal Adelaide’ fire at five minute intervals to start 4,000 yachtsmen in their races during Cowes Week.
Racing Snake Yacht Charters - Copyright 2011 - Racing Snake Ltd - e: [email protected] - m: +44 788 757 8298
Registered in England & Wales No. 3717212, registered office 9 Kingfisher Close, Hamble, Southampton. SO31 4PE United Kingdom.